My Big Girl,
Today is the day:
How can it possibly be your birthday again? Weren't you nestled in this blanket just yesterday? Another year has flown by. And
today I sit and reflect again... because for a mother, her daughter's
birthday is also the day to remember when her life changed forever.
FIVE years, Chlo Jo. The best of our lives. Daddy and I can hardly even remember our lives before you were here. It feels like you've always been here. I said every year, but if
we could bottle you up, right now, Pookie, we would. The way you talk
and form sentences. Your "Chloe-isms." The way you say "cookie" and "baby." Your insight into how the world works. Your smiles. Your hugs. Your drawings. The way you print.
Our birthday wish for you always is health and happiness. You are such a funny,
happy little girl. Of course, you'll always be my baby. In the way that I
am still my mother's baby and in the way that she is still the baby of
her mother. I know that you are growing up, and I will find joy and
happiness in that journey. But, I will cherish these fleeting little girl moments with you, Chloe. I know that it is only for a short time that you will only want to hold my hand as we cross the street. Let me pick out your clothes. Want to snuggle in at story time. Ask to play Candy Crush with me :)
This year was a big year for you. You started school. All of us were nervous for you. You're not very outgoing. Prefer to watch from the sidelines and then jump in when ready. You were anxious about making friends. Worried about leaving Mommy and Daddy for the first time. But... WOW... do you love school. Your teacher, Mrs. Goodwin, says "that girl would sit and color and draw all day if I'd let her!" And it's true. School has helped you come out of your shell a bit too. You often tell us of your friends at school named "Marley and Carley." (yes those are their real names) And just a couple of weeks ago the whole Shemanske family watched you stand up with your class in front of hundreds of people at church and sang your little heart out. "So that the angels can here me," right, Chlo?
This year I have some advice. Not different from other years, but consistent with who you are and who you are becoming.
Keep reading. You love books more than anyone I know (besides me and Nana). We probably read
about 15 books a day, and you read another 10 or so books on your own.
You ask that we read to you when you get up, when you eat your meals,
and before bed. You take books to bed with you and spend hours looking
at them. Always love books, Chloe, like your Mommy does.
Keep imagining. Your imagination is remarkable, Chloe Jo. When you were smaller, it came out in your "pretend play." More recently, it comes out in your artwork. Markers, crayons, pastels, scissors (!), glue, glitter... you love it all. Keep creating. And build us an addition to store all of your art! Kidding. Sort of.
I have faith in you my beautiful daughter. I love you forever and look
forward to a lifetime of experiences with you. Thank you for all the
smiles and even some of the tears. Thank you for always loving me and
teaching me everyday how to be a better person. Thank you for being a
part of our family. Thank you for being such a good big sister to your "little" brother. But most of all…thank you for just being you.
With all my love on your birthday,
Your Mommy
Day 5 Cody, WY --> Gardiner, MT
10 years ago

2 comments:
Birthday Blessings to you each and every day Chloe! We love you, love, love you!
Happy birthday to my little peanut. Thank you for your sweet laugh, hugs and smiles but most importantly for loving me for me and being one of my very best friends ever... That will NEVER change. Love you little (big!) girl.
xoxo Auntie
Post a Comment