Friday, November 12, 2010

Mommy Wishes on Your 2nd Birthday

Dear Chloe,

Today is your birthday.



Another year has passed since your grand entrance to this world. I remember last year feeling overwhelming emotions as you met your one year milestone. I'm surprised that this year I am feeling those emotions again. Will it be like this every year? Will I have tears in my eyes on your 24th birthday? On your 47th? I suspect it might.

My mommy always got sentimental on my birthday. (No big surprise there... Grammie Jo is a bit of a sap) and I never understood it. Isn't a birthday a happy day? Aren't we celebrating? Of course we are... but for a mother, her daughter's birthday is also the day to remember when her life changed forever. Two years ago on this very day, our doctor asked me and Daddy if we were ready to meet our daughter. Tears come to my eyes as I remember that day. Your Mommy was worried and nervous, but Daddy was SO excited. "It's time," I remember him saying. 730 days ago, Daddy stood by my side as you were born.

Two years. The best of our lives. I said this last year and I will say it again. If we could bottle you up, right now, Pookie, we would. The way you say all your words - Mommy, Daddy, Chloe, and (Curious) George, as if he is part of the family. Your smiles and funny faces. Your hugs and waves. The way you dance when music is on. We just can't get enough.

Just this week, for the first time, you requested of me "Mama arm." You wanted to hold my hand as we walked outside. I held on tight and thought about the years to come, when you won't want to hold my hand anymore. These years are precious, Chloe.

Our birthday wish for you always is health and happiness. You are such a funny, happy little girl. Of course, you'll always be my baby. In the way that I am still my mother's baby and in the way that she is still the baby of her mother. I know that you are growing up, and I will find joy and happiness in that journey. But I will, I will cherish these fleeting toddler moments with you, Chlo-Jo. Your daddy and I vow still to leave no kiss unkissed and no cuddle uncuddled, no matter what the hour of day or night. This is the promise we will make to you every year on your birthday.

And when you are all grown, Chloe Jo, when you skip over to friends' houses, enter those "tween years", move away to college, perhaps get married and have a babe of your own, I will fondly remember these years, with warm, sweet, happy tears in my eyes once again.



With all my love on your birthday,

Mommy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Happy Birthday Chloe! - We can't wait for your party!

Liz, Nathaniel & Jack said...

Oh, I am sobbing. This is such a beautiful post! But it also comes on my last day of maternity leave with Jack. I don't know where the last 8 weeks have gone, and reading this makes me realize that soon I will not know where the last two years have gone. So bitter sweet.

Have a wonderful birthday Chloe! You are such a bundle of joy.
Kisses, Liz and baby Jack

Jodi said...

Chloe,

I got a very similar post from my mom (your Grandma) for my birthday when I was in my 20s studying in Sweden. I was in the computer lab and I was full of tears.

Mommies always have a special place in their hearts for their little girls, no matter how old we are.

Shana said...

Happy Birthday Chloe! (I am a sap like Grammie Jo and am crying right now - it goes too fast)